Training for canine explosive teams is a highly specialized endeavor that requires some of the highest standards and handler dedication of any form of canine training. This is not a modified drug detection class taught by drug detection trainers. This is a specialized class offering comprehensive training and practical skills designed to prepare EDC teams for today’s current threat atmosphere.
Course will include and is not limited to:
- Understanding the terrorist assault structure
- Effective application of the EDC as a counter terrorist tool
- Lessons learned from the Middle East
- Explosives; familiarity and safe handling procedures
- Knowledge of basic IED and booby trap concept and design
- Construction of training aids
- Efficient search procedures, prioritizing, safety considerations
- Maintenance/enhancement procedures
- Scene evaluation and deployment procedures
- Threat assessment; comprehending the totality of the picture, credible versus non credible, packages, etc.
- Understanding and applying operant conditioning methodology
- Explosives odor recognition, development of generalization capabilities
- Conditioned response to target odors; focused indication, stare at source
- Handler independent alert
- Search patterns; vehicles, buildings, open air, etc.